Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A new low

I know I have written before how EVERYWHERE that we go nearly EVERYONE feels the need to comment. Usually it's fun and the comments, though repetitive, are innocent and decent. Well all that changed today when BOB and I and Rubi were out on a walk with E squared. I was BOBin away to my 80s music on the i*pod and I see a minivan slow to a stop and the window roll down. My first instinct was to pretend like I didn't notice and keep on walking since I didn't recognize this person -- but then I started thinking "what if it's a kidnapper and that just pisses them off" (i have this weird fear of kidnappers -- especially ones in vans). So I pull my earphones off and it was a lady with a tooth missing just off center to the left and the following mini conversation happened:

lady with off centered missing tooth: oh are those twins?
me: yes they are
lady with off centered missing tooth: how cute -- are they boys?
me: nope both girls (now this is a common question even though we could not fit another pink item on or near them)
lady with off centered missing tooth: are they yours?
me: of course
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WHAT KIND OF STUPID QUESTION IS THAT? (i did not say these things (notice they are not in bold) but it's what I was thinking. Along with her really being a kidnapper. I mean after a question like that. What was I supposed to think?)
I may be infertile but I'm no baby thief.

9 comments:

Erin said...

I've gotten the "are they yours" before too. now clearly i am an egomaniac, because instead of thinking that the person saw me as a kidnapper, i figured they thought i was the swedish au pair!

Nicole Feliciano said...

Funny blog. And yes, people can be obtuse sometimes. I had my baby in all pink and someone said what a cute little boy. I give up! She's bald so I guess they think girls should be born with ponytails or something.

And thanks for entering the momtrends Trevi Twin stroller contest (www.momtrends.blogspot.com). It ends tomorrow. Good luck!

Tiffanie said...

ugghh, you should have said listen up somer teeth (you know as in some are there, some are not)the girls are not mine. i stole them and was told that BOB is invisible. are you telling me that you can actually see them? well, f#*k.

sara said...

Do you think you could ask her, " Is that a tooth missing? Is that your van?" OMG she is so stupid sounding!! Sorry you had to get 20 stupid questions when all you wanted to do was have a nice time out with the girls. I think vans pulling over want to abduct me when I'm walking or running - so I'm sure that when I'm out with Spot I'll think that they want to abduct her too, LOL!

Erin said...

Just dropping a line to say that I made my blog password protected. If you would like to be able to read it, email me your email address. emmhollar@yahoo.com.

Erin said...

People are SO stupid and rude. Luckily I am a very quick witted and sarcastic person. I pity the person who has a dumb comment for me.

Kara said...

I was at Costco with my husband and sister-in-law, Mindy. My husband and I were off shopping and my sister-in-law was pushing the double stroller, a woman approached her:

woman: Twins, oh!

Mindy: yes, they are my brother and his wife's.

woman: Wouldn't it be awful to have twins?

Mindy: not really, and walked away.

I just can't believe how someone can say it's awful in front of two sweet little babies.

Another thing I hate is
"Congratulations, I think" Ugh!

Anyways, I don't remember how I found it but it's so nice reading your blog, my twin girls are 7 months old. - Kara

Shannon said...

"I may be infertile but I'm no baby thief",,, ha ha ha! That was great!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Here from ICLW...

Maybe she asked if they were yours because she can't imagine that someone with your figure could have had twins so recently!